One of the most traditional Greek dishes but also a comfort food as well. Delicious beef combined with orzo try it and you will not regret the effort!
You can serve it with good red wine!
- 1 kg casserole diced beef
- 3 big onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 leak
- 2 sticks of cinammon
- 1/2 ts cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 150 ml red wine
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- salt pepper
- i pack of orzo pasta
- bunch of parsley
Lets make it
- Chop the onions,carrots and leak and put them in a shallow with some olive oil and saute until caramelised .
- put the aside and transfer the diced beef in the pot sizzle until it turns brown.
- Add the vegetables cinnamon sticks, bay leaves cumin and tomato paste.
- Saute the tomato paste for 2min to remove its bitterness.
- Add the red wine and leave it to evaporate for couple of minutes.
- Add the honey the can of chopped tomatoes and stir.
- Add salt and pepper
- leave the meat to cook at medium heat if it gets dry add some water. It will probably need more than an hour for the meat to become tender and soft.
- When ready transfer the meat in an oven tray with the tomato sauce.
- place the orzo in a pan with some olive oil and saute for couple of min, this makes the orzo cook better in the oven and become more al dente.
- Add the orzo over the meat add some more water until it’s all covered and leave in the oven for about 30 min or until orzo is cooked.
- When ready you can sprinkle with some copped parsley and add some frshly ground pepper.
Usually we serve Giouvetsi with feta cheese it makes a good combination!